What airport is closest to Tulum?
If you are planning on visiting Tulum and want to know about distances and the best transportation options from the airport, here is our guide to help you get around and enjoy a safe and fun vacation in Mexico.
The main International airport is in Cancun (CUN) and serves the entire State, from Cancun through Playa del Carmen and Tulum. For years there have been plans of building an airport in Tulum but there is still no promising date.
There is another airport in Chetumal, the capital of Quintana Roo that mainly receives smaller domestic flights and is twice as far from Tulum. If you are wondering about the airport in Cozumel, bear in mind you must take a ferry from this island to Playa del Carmen and then drive south to Tulum, a 45 minute ride.
Tulum is 81 miles or 131 Km south of Cancun, so the best option is to fly into Cancun International Airport.
Wondering about transportation from Cancun International Airport to Tulum? There are shared shuttles, private transfers, taxis, buses and rental cars.
The best tip regarding transportation for your Tulum vacation is to book it in advance, so your arrival will be stress free, especially if you have just landed after a long flight.
1.Private transfers: Comfortable vans with AC and a driver will meet you at Cancun Airport and drive you directly to your hotel in Tulum. There are many companies that offer this service with bilingual staff and drivers. Check a company that seems reliable and has excellent reviews as well as good rates. Private transfers are only for you and your family. Make sure extra fees, insurance and taxes are included in the total price. Average fees:
- Cancun Airport to Tulum for 1-3 people-one way $120 USD. Round trip $240 USD.
- For 4-7 people from Cancun Airport to Tulum-one way $140 USD. Round trip $280 USD.
- Cancun Airport to Tulum for 8-10 people-one way $150 USD. Round trip $300 USD.
2. Shared Airport Shuttles: These vans sit around 12 people, they will pick you at the airport and their staff will have signs with your name on them. They will drop off all the guests at their hotels so you may add up more time on your transfer, but you will pay less than with a private transfer service. Rates go around $40 USD per person.
3. Cancun Airport to Tulum by bus: There is a bus company called ADO, which is one of the largest Mexican bus companies. These buses can be found outside of all 4 terminals at Cancun International Airport and run every 30 or 45 minutes. You can buy your tickets online www.ado.com.mx, at the ADO ticket booths inside the terminals or pay cash at the ticket stand near the area where the buses depart from. The ADO sign is red and has its brand name in white lettering.
One-way trip goes from $12 to $15 USD per person, the price varies depending on the time of day and the trip lasts around 2 hours from Cancun to Tulum. Children up to 12 years old pay half price.
Remember Tulum has 3 distinct areas: Tulum’s Archaeological site, Tulum downtown and Tulum beach. Once you descend from the bus at the downtown terminal you must hire a local taxi to go to your hotel.
4. Rent a Car: If you enjoy flexibility and feeling free, renting a car is your best option. Tours are much less expensive if you drive yourself and you will just pay the entrance fee at the attractions you want to visit. The main highway is in excellent condition and has good road signs. You can drive to Archaeological sites, cenotes, water parks, beach clubs, the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve and even drive to the neighbor State of Yucatan if you decide to explore colonial towns. You will find the most renowned rental car companies in this area. Make sure you have full insurance coverage.
5.Taxis or Uber: Taking a taxi will be the last option. The rates are very high and the service and quality of the cars may not be the best. If you do choose a taxi, make sure you know the rate they charge before getting into the car. Uber or Cabify services are still not available in Quintana Roo.
Enjoy your vacation in Tulum, and book the best transportation option for you from Cancun to Tulum.