A trip to Mexico as a single woman? Safety tips for enjoying your vacation.
Travelling solo can be a lot of fun: no ties, freedom to change plans, enjoying some alone time in a beautiful country which has so much to explore. But in order to be safe in any country you choose to travel, you must use common sense and this applies while traveling to Mexico, the US or France.
Although Mexicans are very hospitable and friendly, you must know when to draw the line and place yourself in a spot where you feel safe. Remember you are alone and more vulnerable when visiting a foreign country, so if you are planning a trip to Mexico as a single woman, here are some safety tips for enjoying your vacation:
- Be alert. Try not to be distracted for too long while texting, taking pictures or checking your phone.
- Let your bank know when and where you are traveling so they will be aware that international charges to your credit cards will be made, this way you will avoid the bank blocking your accounts and having you on the phone for hours, trying to resolve this issue.
- Dress quite conservatively if you would like to avoid unwanted attention from men. If you are visiting Tulum beach you can dress like anywhere in the Caribbean, it’s a very popular beach town and less formal than many areas in Mexico.
- Choose a hotel in an area that feels safe to you, even if it is more expensive. Your security and comfort go first.
- Control your alcohol intake and always be alert. Tequila and Mezcal are national drinks, but very strong ones!
- Don’t trust strangers, this tip applies even in your home town.
- Don’t wear expensive jewelry and keep your valuables in your hotel’s safe.
- Don’t walk alone after dark.
- Use first class commercial bus companies to travel long distances and regulated taxis from official Sitios(taxi ranks) for local rides. Check if Uber, Cabify or other transportation companies service the states or cities you will visit, these are by far the safest option. If you are staying at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, ask front desk to arrange for your transportation, even local.
- Check single women travelers’ social media accounts! There are many women travelling alone or in groups who update their IG account while travelling. Look for tips and places they’ve been to.
- Follow your instincts – if something doesn’t feel right, don’t do it. But try to keep an open mind, visit local hangouts, meet people, share experiences.
The Riviera Maya is a good place to start some solo travelling. It has a very international population, tons of expats, English is spoken everywhere and you can use the US Dollar is.
If you are planning a trip to Mexico as a single woman, you will have a blast, but always follow these safety tips in order to enjoy your vacation.
And final advice: Enjoy your trip, enjoy your freedom, have fun, smile, eat, drink tequila and laugh, discover archaeological sites, visit museums, take tons of colorful pictures, make new friends and have an amazing time in Mexico.